Transnet Port Terminals, South Africa
11:30 AM Addressing the challenges and opportunities of building and expanding major port projects in East Africa
Port authorities are presently engaged in a number of major expansion projects aimed at increasing the capacity and competitiveness of their ports, with many new terminals and hinterland infrastructure projects underway in the region. In this session, the senior leadership from port authorities and operators will be invited to discuss what their plans are to ensure the future competitiveness of their ports.
This session will consider:
- A snapshot of developments underway at key ports in Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa and more
- What can regional authorities do to ensure that they remain competitive to international shipping?
- How does geopolitical tension affect the market?
- Managing growing port congestion, improving productivity and performance
- Describing the key elements of best practice: Planning, design and development
- Integration and optimisation of quay cranes and trucks at terminals
This panel discussion will provide an overview of the following points:
- Maximising points of efficiency in your port such as inner-port transport, operations and communications to create a competitive and attractive choice to the shipping community
- Leveraging advanced technologies to maximise resource utilisation and capacity handling in the quay side, yard, and warehouse while achieving the shortest possible total transit time
- How to balance security requirements and operational efficiency?