Operations and HSSE Manager
Maersk - APM Terminals, Tanzania
- Evaluating the port expansion plans in Tanzania
- Outlining milestones and updates on how the project plans to be the most modern ports, supporting the burgeoning trade across Tanzania
11:30 AM Addressing the challenges and opportunities of building and expanding major port projects in East Africa
Port authorities are presently engaged in a number of major expansion projects aimed at increasing the capacity and competitiveness of their ports, with many new terminals and hinterland infrastructure projects underway in the region. In this session, the senior leadership from port authorities and operators will be invited to discuss what their plans are to ensure the future competitiveness of their ports.
This session will consider:
- A snapshot of developments underway at key ports in Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa and more
- What can regional authorities do to ensure that they remain competitive to international shipping?
- How does geopolitical tension affect the market?
This panel discussion will provide an overview of the following points:
- Maximising points of efficiency in your port such as inner-port transport, operations and communications to create a competitive and attractive choice to the shipping community
- Leveraging advanced technologies to maximise resource utilisation and capacity handling in the quay side, yard, and warehouse while achieving the shortest possible total transit time
- How to balance security requirements and operational efficiency?
In an effort to improve productivity and enhance the performance, port facilities are increasingly utilising sophisticated technologies. As the number of disparate and varied technologies within a port increases, the complexity of the workflow and the difficulty in parsing information from each system also rises, lowering efficiency. This session looks into smart ways to leverage technology to maximise port performance.